Sunday, June 6, 2010

Morning Peace

This morning I woke up to a beautiful sunrise over slightly misty hills. I made my morning coffee and sat down in the office, while the computer slowly woke I looked out the window to see how the world looked today and I noticed a strange shape a ways out by the pasture fence. It was a deer, but something looked strange about it. I grabbed the binoculars and looked again...it was a doe and it looked strange because she was bent around, bathing her nursing fawn. It was quite a sight, this little peek at nature. Then as I watched, a large bird flew into my little binocular-aided circles of vision. It was a large Bard owl, and it settled on a fencepost a distance away, but still within my still-life view of doe and fawn. What a picture!

I wish I could have shared it, the actual picture, but we don't have anything nearly that powerful in the way of cameras, so you will simply have to take my word for it and use your imagination.

The grasses are a golden green this morning, headed now with blooms and immature seed heads. The light is soft as the morning mist hasn't yet burned away and the sky is a clear blue, finally empty of the recently persistent rainclouds. The Red-winged blackbirds, Chipping sparrows and Meadowlarks are singing loudly, making their morning declarations of territory and above it all the roosters crow, announcing their intentions to start the day. Here on the farm, this is our morning peace.

4 comments:

Amy said...

We don't need to see a photograph because your words painted a beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing what you see and for taking the time to honor the morning peace.

MacSarcule said...

beautiful!

Teresa said...

What a beautiful morning scene. Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is sweetness.

On our drive into town, we saw a Mama, and as we slowly went by, spied her two spotted fawns in the tall morning grass. Our hearts sang for days.

Thanks for sharing

Pam