Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pinched Hummus

No, I didn't steal hummus from Gateway Market or anything. Though I've recently been craving it just about enough to do so.

Sometime during our "All-Out-Bash-Opening-Farmers-Market" on Saturday, Sean stepped out of the booth for 2 minutes and grabbed a couple loaves of bread from our favorite bakery at the market...ah sweet mystery of life, I do love that bread! I know, I know, I can make my own bread, only theirs is so damn good and I don't have to bake it. And at this time of the year that is critical.

So I had good bread, I wanted hummus...good hummus.

Then today I was pinching back trays and trays of basil starts and it hit me...hummus with basil. Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want!
I grabbed a few different recipes from the internet, plugged in my food processor and away we went.
Needless to say, tonight's supper was bread and hummus...period. Sometimes life is very, very good!

BGF Hummus

5 garlic cloves, minced and then mashed
1 cup basil trimmings (or leaves)
2 15-oz cans of chickpeas, drained
2/3 cup of tahini
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil, plus a bit more
1/2 teaspoon of salt

In a food processor, combine the mashed garlic, basil and a shot of olive oil.
Process until it looks like a loose pesto.
Add garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, water and remaining olive oil.
Process until smooth. Add salt, starting at a half a teaspoon, to taste.

Delicious with good bread, fresh veggies or chips.
Freezes well.
Makes about 3 cups.

5 comments:

Claire MW said...

Sounds excellent - I am such a basil fan. I am nearly finished with my freezer tub of basil pecan pesto from last year. Time to seed out some new stuff. I am so behind on seeding anything.

I opened a jar of your berry lime jam today. Love that huckleberry goodness! What a glorious color it is! Yummo!

Amy said...

I am a big fan of hummus. This recipe will be printed out and enjoyed within the next week, that's for sure!

What is your favorite bread at the Farmer's Market? I picked up a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread from the Mast Family Farm. Delish.

And, just because you CAN make the bread doesn't mean shouldn't enjoy the pleasure of enjoying someone else's work. You are busy enough, right now, I am sure!

Amy said...

That sounds delicious. I look forward to basil- but in the meantime, I wanted you to know that I hard boiled some of your eggs and just ate two on toast with Reicherts red pepper chevre. OH MY HEAVENS. Best lunch ever. Thank you for having such delicious eggs.

Teresa said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try. I would love the fresh bread too, but I am like you. No time for that stuff right now.

BlueGate said...

Claire- So glad you are enjoying the jam. I agree on the color, I describe it as "Nickelodeon purple".

Our favorite bread at market is the ciabatta from La Mie (both olive and plain.) Divine stuff there!

Amy- Sounds tasty! Glad you are enjoying the eggs. I firmly believe that nearly everything is made better by the addition of Reichert's cheese!