Saturday, January 10, 2009

Full Wolf Moon

As I've mentioned before, I have a thing for the traditional names given to the various full moons. I don't know how other people celebrate full moons, or even if anyone else pays much attention to such things, but I am a big fan. If nothing else, it reminds me, at least once a month, to stop... look up into the night sky and breath deeply.

Tonight was particularly spectacular, the night was cold and crystal clear, and the moon shadows were stark against a fresh blanket of snow. The moon was encircled by an enormous halo caused by the refraction of ice crystals high in the sky. It was quite a sight.


Photo courtesy of http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_kids/AskKids/moonring.shtml


Blue and I took the opportunity to do a little sledding by moonlight. And as it should be, the sledding was followed by a steaming cup of hot cocoa for me and a "cookie" for Blue.

Post a Comment